National Park Service News Release
Date: July 20, 2015
Cape Hatteras National Seashore is holding public scoping meetings to consider changes to the seashore’s Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) special regulation as it relates to morning opening of beaches, extending the length of fall and spring seasonal ORV routes, and modifying the size and location of vehicle free areas.
Public input will help inform the development of alternatives that will be analyzed in an Environmental Assessment (EA).
The EA will be prepared in response to the Defense Authorization Act of Fiscal Year 2015 (Public Law 113-291) pertaining to the Seashore’s Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Management Plan.
The five public meetings are scheduled as follows:
- Aug. 5, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. – Ocracoke School, 1 Schoolhouse Rd.
- Aug. 6, 2015, 6 to 8 p.m. – McKimmon Conference & Training Center, 1101 Gorman St., NC State University Campus, Raleigh.
- Aug. 10, 6 to 8 p.m. –Cape Hatteras Secondary School, 48576 Hwy 12, Buxton.
- Aug. 11, 6 to 8 p.m. – Hilton Garden Inn, 5353 Virginia Dare Trail, Kitty Hawk.
- Aug. 12, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. – Embassy Suites Hampton Inn, 1700 Coliseum Dr., Hampton, VA.
Additional information on the public scoping and EA process will be provided in advance of the public meetings.
More information can be found on the Seashore’s webpage at: http://www.nps.gov/caha/parkmgmt/2015ndaact.htm.
Categories: National Park Service (NPS)