For Ocracoke news, click here
In observation of national fire prevention week, the Ocracoke Volunteer Fire Department will hold an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 8.
There will be a tour of the station and a chance to see the trucks with the equipment they carry. Fire prevention materials, address sign information and Vial of Life information will be available. Read our editorial on the importance of address signs by clicking here.
Children will be have the opportunity to handle a fire hose and spray some water.
OVFD will also visit the school during this week to talk with the students about fire prevention.
This year’s topic is maintaining an escape plan with two ways out as well as the importance of fire prevention.
To develop a plan the following points should be considered:
- Draw a map of your house
- Find two ways out of each room
- Make sure you can use all of your ways out
- Make sure your doors and windows are not blocked
- Choose an outside meeting place in front of your house
- Go over your plan with everyone in your home
- Have a plan to assist anyone who needs help getting out
- Test your smoke alarms to be sure they are working