There are a lot of memories in the debris lining Ocracoke streets as residents rebuild after historic flooding from Hurricane Dorian. Photo: C. Leinbach

Para leer en español, haga clic aquí.

The Hyde County Office of Planning and Economic Development is asking all Ocracoke property owners to submit a “common application” for assistance with housing needs.

This common application supplies county staff with the information needed to match the needs of property owners with resources that may come available through state and federal grant opportunities when they come available.

Assistance typically comes in the form of elevations, reconstructions and acquisitions.

In the wake of Hurricane Dorian, Hyde County is accepting common housing applications from individuals with housing damage and needs.

Applications can also be picked up and returned to Teresa Adams at the Ocracoke Volunteer Fire Department. They are available online on the Hyde County website under hurricane and flood info or from Rosemary Johnson in the government center in Swan Quarter.

County staff will use these applications to identify and work with property owners to assist them with searching for available resources to meet their individual needs. All property owners should submit an application–residents, off-island property owners and business owners.

This application does not promise funding but rather gives the county a tool to apply for funding and match individual property owner needs with grant funds for which they may be eligible.

When and if FEMA Individual Assistance becomes available, this application does not take the place of filing with FEMA but is in addition to any FEMA application.

Individual grants may come in the form of Community Development Block Grants (CDBG), Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds, Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grants, and other state and federal resources that may come available as a result of the storm. Criteria for these grants vary by the individual grant and may or may not be based on income, the number of times the structure has flooded, the extent of damage, and other factors.

For questions, call Johnson at 252-926-4178 or email

Previous articleGov. Roy Cooper revisits Ocracoke, hears harrowing flood tales
Next articleAsistencia de vivienda para Ocracoke