Debris removal, begun Wednesday on Ocracoke, is overseen by Hyde County Solid Waste Superintendent James Blount. Photo: C. Leinbach
Hyde County Solid Waste Superintendent James Blount supervises debris removal, begun Wednesday on Ocracoke. Hyde County Manager Bill Rich said the operation on Ocracoke will take about three weeks. Photo: C. Leinbach

For Ocracoke news, click here. 

Oct. 22, 2016
From Hyde County:

Hyde County disaster survivors have a number of local/state/federal assistance programs and services available to help them recover in the wake of Hurricane Matthew.  In the coming days, Hyde County Public Information will release recovery bulletins to assist citizens.
Hyde County officials are scheduled to meet with Federal Emergency Management Agency representatives today (Saturday) at 10 a.m., to coordinate FEMA’s efforts to assist survivors in Hyde County.
As of Friday, 69 Hyde County residents have applied for assistance through FEMA’s Individual Assistance (IA) Program and  $4,185.13 has been awarded by the FEMA Individual and Household Program (IHP).
The following recovery programs and services are available to Hyde County residents:
Debris Removal
Ocracoke debris removal operations began on Oct. 19, and will continue until volumes have diminished to a locally manageable level.
The initial pass to collect Hyde County Mainland storm debris has been rescheduled and is now expected to begin on Thursday, Oct. 27, or Friday, Oct. 28. Hyde County officials are urging all mainland residents to place their storm debris on the roadside by no later than Tuesday, Oct. 25. The debris contractor will not collect storm debris on mainland private property or private roads.
Citizens may transport vegetative storm debris to the designated mainland convenience sites or you can place it on the shoulder of the NCDOT right-of-way as outlined in the diagram provided. The Swan Quarter and Engelhard convenience sites will accept your vegetative storm debris. Please do not transport your storm debris to the temporary debris storage sites (TDSS) on Ocracoke Island or the mainland.  Below is a graphic showing how debris should be separated and placed within the NCDOT right-of-way to be retrieved.
FEMA Individual Assistance (IA) Program
On Oct. 10, President Obama issued a major disaster declaration for the State of North Carolina triggering the release of federal funds to help individuals and communities recover from Hurricane Matthew that began on Oct. 4, and continuing. Hyde County has received a FEMA Individual Assistance (IA) Declaration which allows homeowners, renters, and businesses to apply for vital short-term and long-term recovery assistance. Assistance can include grants for:
* Temporary housing
* Essential home repairs
* Uninsured and underinsured personal property losses
* Other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance
Applicants will be asked for the following information:
* Social security number
* Address of the damaged primary residence
* Description of the damage
* Information about insurance coverage
* A current contact telephone number
* An address where they can receive mail
* Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds
Residents can apply at, 800-621-3362, or (TTY) 800-462-7585. Applicants who use 711 or Video Relay Service may also call 800-621-3362. The toll-free numbers are open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., seven days a week, and multilingual operators are available. Disaster Recovery Centers also will be opening in flood-impacted communities during the next several weeks for those who would like to talk with someone in person.
Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Loans
Hyde County residents may be eligible for financial assistance from the U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Available disaster loan types include:
* Business Physical Disaster Loans: Loans to businesses to repair or replace disaster-damaged property owned by the business, including real estate, inventories, supplies, machinery and equipment. Businesses of any size are eligible. Private, non-profit organizations such as charities, churches, private universities, etc., are also eligible.
* Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL): Working capital loans to help small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small businesses engaged in aquaculture, and most private, non-profit organizations of all sizes meet their ordinary and necessary financial obligations that cannot be met as a direct result of the disaster. These loans are intended to assist through the disaster recovery period.
* Home Disaster Loans: Loans to homeowners or renters to repair or replace disaster-damaged real estate and personal property, including automobiles.
For more information, contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling (800) 659-2955, emailing, or visiting SBA’s website at Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call (800) 877-8339.  Applicants may also apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via SBA’s secure website at
Disaster Supplementary Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP)
Through the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP), the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) is able to quickly offer short-term food assistance benefits to families suffering in the wake of a disaster.
Eligible households receive one month of benefits, equivalent to the maximum amount of benefits normally issued to a SNAP household of their size. Benefits are issued via an electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card, which can be used to purchase food at most grocery stores.
Through D-SNAP, affected households use a simplified application. D-SNAP benefits are issued to eligible applicants within 72 hours, speeding assistance to disaster victims and reducing the administrative burden on state agencies operating in post-disaster conditions.
Households not normally eligible for SNAP may qualify for D-SNAP as a result of their disaster related expenses, such as loss of income, damage to property, relocation expenses, and, in some cases, loss of food due to power outages.
When states operate a D-SNAP, ongoing SNAP clients can also receive disaster food assistance. Households with disaster losses whose SNAP benefits are less than the monthly maximum can request a supplement. The supplement brings their benefits up to the maximum for the household size. This provides equity between D-SNAP households and SNAP households receiving disaster assistance.
FNS approves D-SNAP operations in an affected area under the authority of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act when the area has received a Presidential disaster declaration of Individual Assistance (IA) from FEMA.
State agencies request FNS approval to operate a D-SNAP within the disaster area. FNS approves program operations for a limited period of time during which the state agency may accept D-SNAP applications.
The Hyde County Department of Social Services (DSS) will begin registering Ocracoke residents from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 25, and Wednesday, Oct. 26, from 8 to 11 a.m. in the Ocracoke Community Center, 999 Irvin Garrish Hwy.  D-SNAP registration in Hyde County will cease at the close of business on Wednesday, Oct. 26.
Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) Program
The Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) Program provides temporary weekly monetary assistance to individuals in specified areas whose employment has been lost or interrupted as a direct result of a Presidentially declared major disaster.
To be eligible for any week of DUA, an individual must meet one or more of the following conditions as a direct result of a major disaster as declared by the President of the United States:
1) No longer have a job.
2) Unable to reach the place of employment.
3) Scheduled to start work and do not have a job or unable to reach the job.
4) Become the bread-winner of major support of family because of disaster-related death of the head of household.
5) Cannot work because of injury directly caused by the declared disaster.
If you are eligible for regular Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits, you must first exhaust those benefits before you are eligible for DUA.
To apply for assistance you should call DES toll free at 1-866-795-8877. Be prepared by having the following information:
1) Your social security number; your Alien Registration number if you are a non-citizen.
2) Any check stubs or other proof of earnings for employment you have had within the last 18 months.
3) If self-employed, your most recent federal income tax returns and/or your profit-and-loss statement.
Individuals who are affected by the disaster and are unable to continue working must file an application for benefits by Nov. 14.
Local public health services/environmental health services
If floodwater breached your well, you must chlorinate your well prior to use. For information on use of a well or septic tank after flooding, for food and lodging environmental health inspections, or for any other environmental health information, contact Environmental Health Specialist Roni Collier at 252-926-4380, or via email at
Tetanus shots encouraged
Tetanus shots are encouraged for citizens and volunteers in contact with debris from Hurricane Matthew. If you have not received a tetanus shot in the last 10 years, or do not remember the date of your last vaccination, contact the Hyde County Health Department at 252-926-4399 to make an appointment to receive this vaccination.
Health and Safety Information
Health and safety information in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew is available at kiosks at all U.S. Postal Service Offices in the county services center, 30 Oyster Creek Rd., Department of Social Services and at the senior center. This information is also available online at under the Public Health Preparedness and Response tab. For more information, contact Preparedness Coordinator Misty Gibbs at 252-542-0358 or via email
Primary Care Available
If you are feeling unwell after the storm, you can now see a provider five days a week at the Hyde County Health Department. Primary care is available for men, women and children. Services include: yearly physicals, chronic disease management, sick visits, laboratory services, well child visits and immunizations. Accepted forms of payment include private insurances, Medicaid, and Medicare. The Hyde County Health Department also provides services to those without insurance. A reduced rate may be available according to a sliding scale based on family size and income. Appointments are available  from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Mental Health Services
Hyde County disaster survivors requiring mental health services in the wake of Hurricane Matthew may visit the Trillium Health Resources kiosk located in the Hyde County Government Center.; Swan Quarter, NC 27885, or citizens can call Trillium Health Resources Access to Care at 1-877-685-2415.
Please maintain awareness and monitor for further updates from Hyde County Public Information, as new recovery programs and services are being announced frequently.
Previous articleGeneral election voting has begun; early voting on Ocracoke will be Nov. 2 and 3
Next articleIslanders scurry to save lost weekend Oct. 28 to 30