Offering commercial services on the Ocracoke beach, such as horse back rides, requires a Commercial Use Permit. Photo: C. Leinbach

To catch up on Ocracoke news and much more, click here

The National Park Service is accepting applications for 2021 Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) permits for the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

Engaging in or soliciting any business in the parks requires a CUA.

These permits are for businesses who want to do business on the Ocracoke beach, such as the following:

  • Beach Equipment Services 
  • Beach Fire Services 
  • Guided Fishing Services 
  • Guided Horseback Tours 
  • Guided Waterfowl Hunting 
  • Interpretive and Educational Programs 
  • Non-Motorized Boat Tours 
  • Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Driving Tours 
  • Outdoor Fitness Classes 
  • Photography Instruction 
  • Road-Based Commercial Tours and Transportation 
  • Sailboat Tours 
  • Watersport Instruction 
  • Wedding Equipment Services 

The application fee is $200 and online payments are now being accepted.

One CUA permit will cover activities in all applicable parks. CUAs are valid from the date of issue through Dec. 31 of the same year.

Visit the following websites for applications, instructions, and more information:

For questions, contact Sarah Merrill at 252-475-0685 or

Previous articleWas ‘The Lost Colony’ really lost or just decamped to Hatteras Island?
Next articleMarc Basnight, dean of Dare County & N.C. politics, dies at age 73