Monday, Feb. 20 President’s Day. Federal holiday
Tuesday, Feb. 21
The Ocracoke School boys’ varsity Dolphins, ranked #8 in the state for 1A basketball, will take on Jones Senior High School (Trenton) at home in the first round of state playoffs, Tuesday, Feb 21. Tip-off at 6 p.m. If they win, they will advance to the second round and another home game on Thursday, Feb. 23.
Wednesday, Feb. 22
The Ocracoke Civic & Business Association will hold its monthly meeting at 6 p.m. in the Ocracoke Community Center.
This is in deference to the community who, on Tuesday, Feb. 21, will attend the first round of the state high school basketball championships in which the Ocracoke School varsity boys’ basketball team are playing at home the day before.
At the OCBA’s meeting held Jan. 28 in the Deepwater Theater, the group decided to meet at 6 p.m. every third Tuesday of the month. Unforeseen was that the Feb. 21 (the third Tuesday of this month) date would conflict with Ocracoke School championship basketball.
Wednesday’s meeting will focus on the budget, member value and the public restroom project, which the OCBA is handling, at Island Inn Park.
At the Jan. 28 meeting, the contributors elected Stephanie O’Neal and Meredith Rollman to the board. Returning members on the board are Rob Orr, Bob Chestnut and Lynn Murphree. Bob
Chestnut was elected president, Rob Orr, vice-president, Stephanie O’Neal, secretary, and Lynn Murphree, treasurer.
The board voted to no longer rent a building in Community Square but will install brochure racks in the Ocracoke Working Watermen’s Exhibit, which is being renovating.
The board agreed to coordinate the following events this year: July 4 activities with fireworks on
July 2; Island-Wide Yard Sale (date in September and spring of 2024 TBD); Blackbeard’s Pirate Jamboree Oct. 27 & 28; the Holiday Market (Nov. 25) and the Island Celebration (holiday lights competition date TBD).
Friday, Feb. 24
- The Ocracoke Township Tourism Development Authority will meet at 9 a.m. in the Community Center. Public viewing will be available via the Hyde County Facebook Live page. Meeting topics are as follows: February 24, 2023, BOD Meeting Agenda
- Draft November 18, 2022, BOD Meeting minutes
- FY 2022/2023 OTTDA Occupancy Tax Collection Summary
- FY 2022/2023 Ocracoke Occupancy Tax Collection Projection
- FY 2022/2023 OTTDA Draft Budget
- January 2023 Arrivalist Report
- Ocracoke Safety Flyer
- VisitOcracokeNC.com SEO Report –January 1-31, 2023
- Executive Director Report – February 2023
- Earned coverage for Ocracoke in the 2023 VisitNC Travel Guide